Embedded Engineer (m/f/d) – New Zealand
PowerON Ltd. (poweron.one) was established in 2019, with international venture capital financing, to further develop and commercialise novel, proprietary and patented Dielectric Elastomer Switch (DES) technology invented at the Biomimetics Laboratory in the Auckland Bioengineering Institute. DES methods deliver soft & flexible computing devices (elastic computing), lifelike actuators (artificial muscles), detector arrays (artificial skins and fingertips for robots) and more. The company has sites in Auckland and Dresden, Germany.
Following a successful capital raising in September, we are looking for an embedded hardware and software developer to join the team at our central Auckland office from November 1st, 2021.
- In close cooperation with our teams in New Zealand and Germany, as well as various cooperation partners, you will develop embedded hardware and software systems for data acquisition or control and regulation of compliant sensor-actuator systems for robotics.
- Your tasks will include system and PCB design, firmware development and testing of the developed systems with connected sensor-actuator peripherals.
- You will support the team in defining communication interfaces and developing front-end software for data presentation.
- As part of our team, you will plan development projects in close collaboration with our customers and design, build and test prototypes according to their specifications.
Required Qualifications & Attributes
An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or similar qualification. Legal right to work in New Zealand is required. English language skills, spoken and written, is required.
- Enthusiasm for new technologies and topics related to robotics and bionics
- A good understanding of electronics and experience in designing PCBs for embedded systems (preferably with Altium)
- Experience in embedded software development using embedded C, preferably with Atmel, Microchip, STM microcontrollers, etc.
- Experience in front-end development for data analysis, preferably using Python/MATLAB/C#
- Well versed with lab bench and measurement equipment for testing and debugging like power supply, oscilloscope, multimeters, and LCR meters, etc.
- Good soldering skills and are capable of soldering small SMD components
- Team player, willing to learn and not afraid to think outside the box
- Strong communication and decision-making skills
- You may already have experience with communication systems such as CAN, UART, USB, Bluetooth, or WLAN
- Some knowledge and experience with LabView would be beneficial
- Knowledge and experience with developing test strategies and implementing automated testing would be beneficial
- Experience with FPGAs and VHDL would be beneficial
- Open to international travel and participation in trade fairs and conferences
- German language skills would be beneficial
If you are interested in working in deep tech and joining a growing start-up with a collaborative team and opportunities for professional development, please get in touch with us.
Send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org